FUNKE Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers
FUNKE’s brazed plate heat exchangers use corrugated stainless steel plates to create unique flow gaps that improve performance and efficiency over your average heat exchanger. By holding the plates at a 180° angle from one another, these units deliver improved media flow and heat exchange. They also come in a range of series and have numerous customization measures available, so you’re sure to find the perfect machine to fit your company’s operational needs.
Adding FUNKE equipment to your operation is one of the best moves you can make for the longevity of your company’s production. These machines are small and efficient, and their high level of quality ensures you’ll be able to rely on them for a long time. When you partner with The Titus Company to enhance your operations, you’ll have access to constant support and emergency maintenance when you need to get back to work as soon as possible.
The Titus Company carries a selection of brazed plate heat exchangers (PHEs) so you can find the best configuration to fit your needs. Our most popular options include the following:
- TPL Series
- GPLB Series
- GPL / GPLK Series
Other design options include:
- NPL Series: Similar to the GPL / GPLK series, with the difference of using nickel-based solder.
- GPLS Series: This series design makes safety the star. Instead of a single-plate wall, this series features a double wall with two brazed plates. Furthermore, these plates are not brazed around the outer wall, so they allow any leakage to vent instead of mixing with the other media.
You’ll find that these machines offer higher heat transfer performance with less pressure loss through thermodynamic optimization measures. Even when working with low-volume flow rates, these machines can produce a high turbulent flow. Thanks to that same flow, FUNKE plate heat exchangers are also self-cleaning, which means less maintenance for you and more time producing results.
Another benefit of these PHEs is their compactness. FUNKE PHEs are up to 75% smaller than other heat exchangers, but yield just as much, if not more, power and efficiency. Whatever the size of your facility, it will be easy for you to find a small space for your PHE to live and deliver the top-tier performance you expect from it.
Between its compact size, efficient performance and modular design, the TPL series is ready to handle anything you throw at it. Specifically designed with applications involving hydraulics, oils and high-viscosity media in mind, the TPL series is perfect for plant and mechanical engineering applications. Compared to more conventional PHE styles, the flow gap volume in this design may be up to 80% wider, and is immensely flexible in its operations.
The TPL series gains its better-than-average heat transfer rates from diagonal flow gaps for media to pass through, plus turbulence sheets fitted into the flow gaps. You have a variety of turbulence plate sizes to choose from, and you can put different sizes in each individual flow channel to maintain maximum control over your heat transfer. This is a FUNKE-exclusive design that you won’t find in other brands.
Furthermore, The TPL series features surface soldering that allows it to maintain safety even under demanding, high-temperature operations. Because the soldering covers the surface instead of just spots, it can better absorb differences in temperature and pressure, enhancing its long-term resilience.
- Heat exchange surface per plate: 0.035 – 0.286 m²
- Maximum operating pressure: 36 bar
- Maximum operating temperature: +200°C
- WA plate material: 1.4404 (AISI 316 L)
- Solder: Copper 99.9% (TPL series)
- Solder: Stainless steel 100% (TPLB series)
The GPLB series is made for working with highly corrosive media like that found in chemical facilities. It’s often used as a separation system in buildings for heat pumps, heating and solar technology. Since this PHE is constructed from 100% stainless steel, it’s also suitable for working in food and pharmaceutical industries and processing drinking water.
- Maximum operating pressure: 25 bar / 30 bar (standard), higher pressures available on request
- Maximum operating temperature: +350°C (standard)
- CE certified
GPL / GPLK Series
These series are ideal for working with low-viscosity media of any kind. The main benefit to the GPL and GPLK series is that they balance heat transfer rates with pressure drops so you’re getting the best of both worlds without losing out on either. When working with low-volume flows, the plates’ V-corrugation can generate a more turbulent flow, optimizing the heat transfer operation. Their primary applications are in HVAC, heat recovery and motor cooling operations.
- Maximum operating pressure: 30 bar
- Maximum operating temperature: +200°C
- WA plate material: 1.4401 / AISI 316
- Solder: Copper
Aside from all the excellent specifications available for your brazed PHE, you can also ask about these additions:
- Connection options: We offer all the most common connection options so you can hook your PHE up to your existing setup. The standard connection type is a male threaded nozzle, but you can also request female threaded nozzles, soldered connections and flanges.
- Mounting: For the TPL model, we offer extended end plates and angular feet upon request. For the other models, we can provide wall brackets, angular feet and transport hooks. Please note that in either case, angular feet are only safe for units that weigh less than 10 kilograms total.
- Heat insulation: A two-part PU foam yields thermal stability for up to 135°C. It’s connected to the heat exchanger using spring locks or tension belts.
- Cold insulation: This self-adhesive multipart set of nitrile rubber maintains stability up to 105°C.
Media Matches for Your PHE
The types of media you work with are especially important when you’re exploring your PHE series options and the materials used to make them. Corrosive media requires more durable components, so make sure you understand how each material will serve your operations.
Copper-based PHEs may be compatible with a broad range of media types depending on a substance’s properties and viscosity. Choosing a copper model is ideal for media like:
- Oil and oil-containing fluids
- Glycol mixtures
- Gas / Air
If you must process any of the following, do not use copper PHEs under any circumstances. For these, you will need a nickel PHE or a specialized option:
- Silicone oils
- High-chloride media
FUNKE brazed PHEs are used in all kinds of industries, but they really make their mark among companies that work with cooling, heating and condensing systems. Take a look at our recommended setups for:
- Separating systems, heat extraction and recovery, and refrigeration engineering
- Mechanical engineering and (hydraulic) oil cooling
- Water processing
- Heating engineering and cooling evaporation or condensation
- Air drying
- Machine and motor cooling
- Machine temperature control and economizing
Request an Estimate Today
The Titus Company has worked with top-level brands like FUNKE for more than 30 years, providing high-quality industrial machines to companies like yours. Our products range from plate heat exchangers to air compressors and much more so your business can keep performing at its best.
Aside from delivering and installing new equipment, we also offer emergency services and preventative maintenance to ensure your investments are always ready to perform. We want to ensure your systems get back up and running as soon as possible. When your Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia or New York business needs assistance, our team will make sure you have it. Get started today by requesting an estimate on your next PHE!
Brazed PHE Technical Specifications
|Series||max. operating pressure (bar||max. operating pressure (bar)|
|max. operating temperature (°C)|
|GPL/GPLK||30 / exception GPLK 80: 16 bar||45||200/150|
|TPL||30 / TPL 01 + 02: 25 bar||200|
2.0 to 6,000 kW
- For the plates, stainless steel 1.4401 / AISI 316 is used.
- For the series GPL, GPLK and TPL the solder is copper.
- For the series NPL the solder is nickel.
TPL / GPL / GPLS / NPL – standard:
- threaded nozzles (male threads)
- soldered connections
- threaded nozzles (female thread)
- flanges on request
GPLK – standard:
- threaded nozzles (male threads)
- flat sealing screw (FSS) joints
- extended end plate
- angular feet
GPL / GPLK / GPLS / NPL
- angular feet
- wall brackets
- transport hooks
Note: Angular feet are only used for units with a minimum weight of approximately 10 kg.
PU-foam with a long-term thermal stability up to 135°C.
Normally consisting of two parts, fastened to the heat exchanger with tension belts or spring locks.
Diffusion tight insulation on the basis of nitrile rubber with long-term thermal stability of up to 105°C.
Available as a self-adhesive multiple-part set.